Welcome to Süderholz
The municipality of Süderholz
is a regional corporation in the administrative district of Vorpommern-Rügen (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern). Süderholz is situated in the southeast of the
district between Grimmen, Greifswald and
Stralsund which is the district town.
authorities that govern the 4.004 inhabitants are situated in Süderholz. The
area has a size of 149 skm which means that there are 27 inhabitants per
to the federal road B 194 and the minor road L 26 the area is well
structured which will be even more improved by the motorway A 20 with its
two exits near Klevenow and Griebenow. Together with a new road to the
island Rügen (B 96 n) they create a merging point ("Pommerndreieck")
which increases the interest in industrial establishments and settlements.
As already mentioned the countryside is characterized by vast fields, meadows and pastures. From the earliest settlements onwards agriculture has determined peoples' lives which has only recently changed when the farmers' cooperations of the former GDR broke down and less workers were needed.
there are several churches, chapels, various remarkable buildings and even
two manner houses in Griebenow and Klevenow. Each one of them is woth to be
seen as they are cultural and historical documents of our region with their
own specific pecularities. The most famous chapel is the one in Griebenow
which was built half-timbered in 1648. Around 1800 the chapel in Neuendorf
was also built half timbered and has an external bell. The attraction of
1730 erected Klevenow chapel is the altar of 1735. Other chapels can be
visited Poggendorf, Willerswalde and Kaschow. The ruin of the one in
Wüsteney is these days sometimes used as place for performances of the
Süderholzer Laienschauspieler, a local theatre group.
Worth visiting are the manors in Griebenow and Klevenow. Between 1702 and 1709 the Griebenow House was built by order of C.G. Rehskiöld whose father received the estate after the Thirty Years' War for his work in the service of Swedish-Pomerania. To the estate belongs a park which has a size of 25 acres. The park was first mentioned in 1706 and is characterized by old and rare trees. Both, building and park are under protection as historically valuable. These days the House develops towards a significant cultural centre where concerts, exhibitions, readings and other events take place.
The history of the in Klevenow House can be traced back to a medieval castle. Later it was one of the most beautiful estates of the Pomeranian nobles. The entrance and the wall are later productions of the 17. century and were restored between 1997 and 1998. On the mansion's grounds there is a park of about 26 acres. Several lakes, the rivulet Poggendorfer Trebel and a number of protected tress complete the astonoshing site.
interesting sites are several Dolmen in the forests south of Poggendorf and
the rampart of an earlier Slavic settlement which is eight metres high and
now overgrown with trees north of Willershusen. Due to the low density of
population and the good condition of the environment various species of
animals can be observed in the forests and on the fields. The range reaches
from deers to different migratory birds that stop here while travelling
south. In almost every village a stork's nest can be found.